Occasionally, you have to take a break and have some fun. Writing blogs is a way to take a break from a normal workday. It forces you to step away from the routine and just relax and have fun. So here’s a fun blog looking back at how far we’ve come in our mobile devices in only 24 years.
- World’s First Mobile Phone Call: The first mobile phone call was made on April 3, 1973, by Martin Cooper, a Motorola executive. He made the call on a Motorola DynaTAC, which weighed about 2.2 pounds.
- The 1st iPhone (retroactively referred to as the iPhone 2G, iPhone 1, or original iPhone) was the first iPhone model and the first smartphone designed and marketed by Apple Inc. After years of rumors and speculation, it was officially announced on January 9, 2007, and was released in the United States on June 29, 2007
- Mobile Phones Are Dirtier Than Toilet Seats: Studies have found that mobile phones can harbor more bacteria than a toilet seat. Regularly cleaning your phone is advisable to maintain good hygiene.
- More Mobile Phones Than Toothbrushes: Surprisingly, there are more mobile phones in the world than there are toothbrushes. It highlights the widespread adoption and use of mobile technology globally.
- Mobile Phones in Space: Astronauts aboard the International Space Station are equipped with smartphones. They use specially adapted devices to assist with various tasks and communicate with mission control.
- The First Camera Phone: The first mobile phone with a built-in camera was the J-SH04, released by Sharp in Japan in the year 2000. This marked the beginning of the camera phone era.
- Mobile Phones and GPS: Modern smartphones use a combination of signals from satellites, Wi-Fi, and cell towers for GPS navigation. This technology has become integral to our daily lives for mapping and location-based services.
- More Mobile Phones Than People: In some countries, the number of mobile phone subscriptions exceeds the actual population. This is due to individuals having multiple SIM cards or devices.
- Mobile Gaming Dominance: The mobile gaming industry has surpassed both console and PC gaming in terms of revenue. Games like Fortnite and PUBG Mobile have millions of active players worldwide.
- Text Messaging Origins: The first text message, “Merry Christmas,” was sent in 1992 by Neil Papworth, a British engineer. At that time, mobile phones didn’t have the capability to compose texts; this message was sent from a computer to a mobile device.
- Mobile Addiction: Studies suggest that the average person checks their phone about 58 times a day. This dependency on mobile devices has given rise to concerns about screen time and its impact on mental health.
Although we work in the industry and love establishing connections it is also important to connect with the people around you. So it’s time to take a break from technology. You heard that right. We need to set down the devices and have family game nights, dinners, conversations, screen-free zones, etc. Cherish what you have, live in front of the camera, not behind it.
Here’s to a New Year that has more of the technology we need to make our lives easier, but less using it in our off time, so we can be present in our family lives.